Thursday 9 June 2011

The Death of Several Authors

No-one reads this blog, so i'm going to put some of my lyric work up here- in a kind of emperor's-got-no-clothes attempt to not feel so self conscious about it...


The Death of Several Authors




Nobody told me that Salinger

had died. It happened on a

thursday when I was probably

busy doing nothing and making

excuses to do nothing.


I asked someone today if they

knew how it happened. The only

accurate line I could draw was

that he simply ceased to be. I’m

not next of kin but I wish I was told.


As I get older, wiser, I meet more

of these poets. My friends. My

mentors. As I doggy-paddle through

endless endless endless poems

it all seems a little futile.


The cataclysmic nature of

discovering that someone is both

your idol and dead within minutes

shocks. Death is a part of the process.

No more literature from them.


Come to think of it no-one told

me that Hunter Thompson had

died. I know that it was before my

time but if my parents were honest

christian folk I’d have known.


Burroughs, Kerouac, Selby Jr. Even

Ginsberg. Before my eyes, before

I become part of their poetry my

teachers are dead. I’m afraid that if

I read more Hisok. His time will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment