Monday 13 June 2011

I Can't Sleep


I can’t sleep. I can’t
even begin to close
my eyes and enter
the slumber that I 
am so undue. I am
not asleep as I am 
a sinner. I am not 
asleep as I have 
poisoned my body
with caffeine and 
sex. Drugs and 
endless endless
booze. That’s why 
I can’t sleep. 
I can’t dream. I can’t 
dream because I
can’t sleep. You know
why I can’t sleep. If I
can’t sleep, I can’t
begin to imagine a 
better time, a better
arena for myself. I 
can’t see myself with
a beautiful girl. In a 
beautiful car. I can’t
imagine myself in
anything short of 
mediocracy. 
I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe
because this poem is stifling. 
This room is stifling. It’s not the
heat but the lack of imagination,
swarming like shadows on a sun
dial. Like foxes on children. Like
words on this page. I can’t see
this getting any easier. I can’t see
this page getting much more full. 
I’m choking.
I can’t live. I can’t live because I can’t breathe, and you
know why I can’t breathe. It’s hard hard to imagine 
anything other than this. I can’t imagine anything other
than a white page filling with black words. Like immigrants
to the new world, forced by rebellious, profit hungry 
fingers. I can’t live because this poem can’t live. I can’t
live because I can’t sleep, and dream. If I can’t dream, what
chance do I have of dreaming to be published? 

No comments:

Post a Comment